A little bit of history
Woodnewton is a parish of some 565 hectares and lies in the area known as the forest of Rockingham. It is situated six miles from Oundle and neighbouring villages include Fotheringhay and Apethorpe both one and a half miles away and Nassington three miles away.
Woodnewton was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Niwetone in the 11th century and by the 13th century as Newton. The FitzUrse family were strongly connected with the village and in 1248 Henry FitzUrse gave the Manor of Woodnewton to the priory of Fineslade.
After the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry V111 the manor of Woodnewton was passed to Edward lord Clinton who then sold all his rights to Walter Mildmay who effectively owned the whole area. Records indicate that the village became socially depressed by the 1670s. In 1778 the owner at the time the Earl of Westmorland enclosed the parish under the Enclosures Act. In 1840 the Wesleyan chapel was built which is now a pottery and in 1876 the village school was built. It was demolished in 2006.
In 1894 the Parish Council was formed and allotments Created in 1919.
Housing development started in the 1950s with Sycamore Close followed by Orchard Lane, St Marys Close, Wades Close, The Paddock and Lindsey Close over the next thirty years. In 1997 the last major development finished with the completion of Pridmore Close.
Today the village is largely residential. It has a church, cemetery, village hall with playing fields and a playground area and a pub - The White Swan.